Due to the latest guidance from the government on the national response to Coronavirus, we have some important updates and actions to share with you.
Unfortunately, we have had to cancel the parent forum tonight. We came to this decision after receiving advice from the Local Authority and after much deliberation. We appreciate that this was an important opportunity to communicate with you further regarding the Ofsted inspection report and the changes in school leadership, however the government guidance is clear that everyone should avoid gatherings and unnecessary contact should cease. We feel it would be reckless to continue with the forum and not worth the risk that any transmission of the virus could occur.
The governors and I are speaking this morning and we will share with you an update once we’ve decided upon the best ways to communicate the key messages planned for the forum and also the best way to give parents/carers opportunities to ask any questions you may have to governors.
We are also taking the following measures to ensure we are doing everything we can top reduce the chances of the virus spreading.
- Firstly could I please stress the importance of keeping children at home if they develop symptoms of Coronavirus which include a new cough and/or have a temperature. Children must be kept off for SEVEN days. We will be contacting you to collect your child if they develop these symptoms during the school day.
- It is very important that you update the school office if you have changed your email address or telephone number recently. Please also keep physical contact with the school to a minimum, phone calls and emails are better.
- Parents and carers are asked to supervise children in washing their hands effectively before they arrive at school and when they get home from school. The children have all had hand washing lessons. Please reinforce the importance of cleaning fronts and backs of hands, nails and wrists and washing for at least 20 seconds.
- Staff will be directing children to wash their hands when coming into school, after break, before lunch and before going home.
- Any events which involve parents coming into school will be cancelled. This will remain in place until at least Easter and will be reviewed for the summer term. This includes all weekly celebration assemblies.
- Parents and Carers are asked to ensure that all required medication is in school for children with health problems requiring treatment, particularly inhalers.
- Parents and carers are asked to spend as little time as possible on the playground at pick up and drop off times. We will endeavour to ensure that the children are returned promptly to you at the end of the school day.
- No educational visits will be planned where children are put into contact with a large amount of children from other schools. The Tropical World visit for Swallows Class will not be going ahead – it will be rearranged for another date. The Curlews Class swimming trips do not bring the children into contact with large groups of other children or large numbers of the general public, therefore will be going ahead as planned.
- Assemblies will not take place as a whole school until at least Easter. Instead children will remain in classes for assembly time.
We are currently working hard to ensure that we are prepared in the event of a school closure. Teachers are preparing resources and home learning methods to enable us to continue to provide some level of education if we are required to close.
We are taking these measures to do all we can to delay the spread of the virus and would ask for you to fully support us at this time. As a staff team we are doing all we can to stay well and healthy and keep school running as normally as possible for the sake of the children and our school community.
We are mindful that some of the changes being made in school may cause some children to be concerned or anxious. Teachers will be addressing this through PSHE lessons, and Mr Davies is speaking to classes daily too. Please do email the office if you have any specific concerns.
If you would like to speak further about this letter, please phone the school office or call in to see me.
Jonny Davies and the Woodfield team